- Therapy sessions:
- I encourage you to identify and access internal and external resources you have available to you, recognise the choices you have and, if you desire, to implement change. We are both active participants during therapy and the overall outcome also depends on your input towards your goals between sessions.
- Psychotherapy has been shown to be beneficial in many situations, but it can be challenging at times. It is helpful and important that we review how you are experiencing the work so that we can reach an agreement on how best to proceed. I will offer opportunities for us to explore this together, but please do bring any concerns you may have into sessions so that we can address them as and when they arise, where possible.
- Sessions last for up to 50 minutes at the same time each week, unless agreed otherwise.
- For online sessions, please see here for general advice and guidelines.
- If Zoom fails us during the session, please contact me via WhatsApp or FaceTime video. If neither of these options are available to you, or in the unlikely event we are disrupted by internet connection issues, please phone me on my mobile on 07800-570-602 (standard UK mobile charges apply) so that we can either resume over telephone, or reschedule your appointment.
2. Therapeutic Boundaries:
- Contact between sessions is kept to a minimum and generally only involves practicalities, such as scheduling, invoicing, or sending psycho-educational resources where it is necessary and cannot be done within session. It is important that for the rest of the work we keep any other communications contained within the scheduled session time, allowing for any emotional content which may arise to be given the proper attention it deserves.
- As a private practitioner I am unable to offer an emergency service. If you need immediate mental health support please call The Samaritans on 116 123; free of charge from any phone. If you feel that this may be an issue, please discuss it with me in session and we may be able to come up with a ‘safety plan’ together.
- Should our paths cross outside of the therapy room, I may acknowledge you with a smile, but will not approach or attempt to make contact with you.
3. Cancellations and breaks:
- Because your session time is kept open for you, you will be charged the full fee for cancellations outside of 24 hours’ notice, unless in the event of emergency.
- I will give you as much notice as possible of any planned absences on my part and no charge will be incurred for these.
- I cannot hold a regular appointment time if you are away for more than 2 weeks, so you may need to reschedule a new session time upon returning from extended breaks – please discuss this with me so that we can make arrangements.
4. Code of Ethics and Practice:
- I am a Registered member of the BACP (membership number 00920584) and comply with its Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.
- Endings can be just as transformative and insightful as the rest of the therapeutic work and I encourage you to let me know in advance when you would like to end. This allows for time to reflect on your therapeutic journey and to experience closure. However, I understand that circumstances may suddenly change for you and that you may need or want to stop therapy early and I will always respect your decision and honour your autonomy.
- I offer a sliding fee scale which is set according to income and reviewed periodically. I rely on you to be honest about your place on the scale and review your fee as necessary.
- Please pay via bank transfer on the day of your appointment, leaving a reference of your name or initials.
- If you require a receipt for our sessions please let me know and I will send a PDF document following payment.
- I respect your privacy and treat all communications as confidential. However, in rare circumstances, I may need to contact outside agencies:
- Where it is deemed that you, or connected persons, are at serious risk, in which case relevant third parties may be contacted in the interests of safety and support.
- Where you give explicit permission for private information to be shared with third parties, for instance with your medical practitioner.
- Where I am required to divulge information by a court of law.
- I will always try to speak with you about this first, unless there are safeguarding issues that prevent this.
- To ensure best practice I attend regular supervision. Here, conversations will be conducted in such a way as to safeguard your confidentiality.
- Please see my Privacy Statement for details regarding how I keep your data.
If you would like to discuss this agreement at any time during our work together, please bring it to your session so that we may address any queries or concerns you have.